Thursday, August 12, 2010

Full body painting Tatiana Parcero's Cartographies

Tatiana Parcero is Mexican artist whose primary subject of work is human body. She combines pictures of fragments using transparency overlays, with diagrams from anatomy as well as old Aztec codices. Currently she lives and works in Buenos Aires, Argentina.


My work starts with my biography and personal rituals of daily life. I explore sensations and emotions, which, even though they are intimate or individual, are included in the more ample sphere of the feminine and the human. With this idea I move from the specific to the general. My experience is transformed into the thought of what other women or human beings might live through.

I started with the exploration of my external body as a way of knowing myself. Later, I included objects which would help me to define visually, individual and social metaphors. After that I went beyond the boundaries of the skin to start the exploration of my inner body.

The images to be found in "Cartographies" are the continuum of a project which I started three years earlier, by the name of " El Mapa de Mi Cuerpo" ( the map of my body) in which I brought together the notions of identity, memory and territory.

By means of combining pictures of fragments of my body with diagrams from anatomy as well as old codices, I have constructed maps - metaphoric/rituals- and reinvented my history. I explore inner and outer spaces guided by such maps as a starting point. With these images, I try to see through the memory of my body that which goes beyond the boundaries of the skin.


Take a look at some of Tatiana Parcero's works:





















No comments:

Post a Comment